Yesterday was a long drive to Fairbanks, Alaska. Not much for scenery the first 75 miles or so. We did have peaks of the Alaska range of granite mountains and then out pops views of the snow covered peaks. Wow, even with the haze from clouds it was impressive. It is a long 206 miles. We stopped in Delta Junction "End of the Alaska Highway" all 1422 miles of it. We got a certificate at the Visitors Center for having completed the highway. Nice. Then we continued onto Fairbanks. We did see hazy views of the higher mountains with snow on them along the way. This last 98 miles to Fairbanks was a better drive with different views. We stopped at the North Pole of course. Saw Santa and elves. Took photos of Santa's house and the streets of the North Pole with street lights as candy canes.
We drove on to Fairbanks, went by the Air Force base on the way, signs saying "NO PHOTOS, NO STOPPING, NO PARKING". Ok, but on the way back I took 2 photos. Ha.
We did stop at Ft. Wainwright, Army Base where Gary was stationed in the 70's. I had promised along time ago to go there someday. I took a photo of the Base Sign and we were kinda in the gate lane. As we got to the gate we explained we were just taking a photo of the sign and he said: No problem, today is open base day so you are welcome to drive around. Wow, it was meant to be, this was unexpected and special for me. Mike was excited and happy for me, he is a special man, I am blessed. It was surreal to drive around, I know most everything is changed from 38 years ago but still glad I got to tour the base.
Fairbanks itself is just a base town, nothing unique here. We did eat on the river at The Pump House which Peggy, at the Delta Junction Visitor Ctr. told us about. It was excellent! I have been eating more fish than I ever have and love it!
We drove back and took some photos along the way of the snow coved mountains. It was a nice drive back. We are staying another night and relaxing, updating this blog and cleaning.
Next stop is either Anchorage or maybe Valdez. We will decide on the way.
We have had so many wonderful experiences during this journey. Awesome views so far with more to come. We are anxious for Jackie and Bud to arrive at the end of August, that will be another great time. Miss you Dottie and Dave and glad you have sunshine!!
Now for photos.
| The Certificate of Completion of the Alaska Highway! |
| The final mile post "1422" of the Alaska Highway. |
| The Alaska Range, snow covered mountains. |
| Speaks for itself. |
| Driving back snowing on the mountains. |
No comments:
Post a Comment